Sometimes, I wonder if I'm doing the right thing. In the first place, how do you define right and wrong. Things do get rather contridicting at time, or maybe, you just feel that what you did was right and from your point of view, there was nothing wrong about it. Human nature in general, I would say, is selfish. They always try to make things turn out the way it will be best for themselves.
Firstly, I thought what I did was what I've wanted to do for quite some time already. I did think it through before, what the possible outcomes were. But still I've decided that I should be voicing out my opinion and there was no need to compromise. I know, its difficult to have a say for everything in life. We always say that we are the ones who controls our life but most of the times there are just too many external factors that needs to br considered. But this time, I knew it was different. People just didn't want to voice out what they felt. Probably to prevent any 'avoidable' conflicts, or just maybe to prevent themselves from being too extreme. No doubt it might be a trivial matter to some but in my opinion, it wasn't.
Just wondering, how many people really dare to voice their opinion without holding back. I don't really dare do that myself, which I think is rather sad a thing. People tries to avoid trouble, don't they? But does standing up for your stand or rights means creating trouble.
Just a few days ago, the school was collecting the pledge card, supposedly donations to find the school's development. As expected, people appeared unwilling to donate. Nothing wrong with that if people didn't see the point to. Donation, as defined, is an act a person voluntarily does. There is no rule to saying that it was a MUST. Also as expected, the teacher will start telling the class why the donation was important and that we should be making our contribution. Contribution, I'm not sure since when, it has always been associated with money. Money and contribution. So how much money you throw in will be equvilant to how much contributions you have made? Contributions can be done through many other channels. So why was it not accepted a zero dollar card? Why was there a need for a 'just for show' 2 dollars minimum. It was an invisible rule created but the message was sent out clear.
I was just wondering how inflexible systems can be. Why can't they accept that students don't want to donate for a reason. They never tried finding out the reason but blame us instead for not doing what we could. Its been said that there were attempts to reach out to students for their opinions and that opinions were being considered. Considered, but not taken. Considered probably, how rejections would be less hurtful. Turning downs would sound less harsh. On overall, trying is just not enough.
No wonder, less people actually do want to voice opinions because they know it will be denial they face. People get less concern with what is happening because being concern is meaningless. In our society, the same thing is happening. Probably its time to think again why is everyone follwing the rule, are they doing it willingly or was it because there are no alternatives. Are there really no room for exceptions?